Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe. Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no more than 30% nitrous oxide.The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions. You are fully conscience and can fully able to respond throughout use of the treatment. There is no potential for interaction with prescription drugs. This modality is offered to help reduce the anxiety and stress that many people experience during dental treatment. It is optional, but for many adults and children it enables treatment to be a much more pleasant experience.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation according to the patients comfort.
- Typically there is no after effect.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
You may want to ask your dentist for a “5 minute trial” to see how you feel with this type of sedation method before proceeding.